Roasted Whole Chickeen
This is a quick and easy roasted whole chicken recipe. I took a whole, thawed, 5lb free-range chicken from the local butcher shop and put it in a dutch oven (a roasting pan could be used), drizzled a little lemon juice over it, rubbed in some minced garlic, thoroughly covered with McCormick Rotisserie Chicken Seasoning, and sprinkled some salt, pepper, dried rosemary and thyme over the top. I put about 2-3 tablespoons of butter in the pot as well, and baked for about 45 minutes at 425F, or until chicken reaches an internal temp of 165F. If you wanted it to be dairy free, you could substitute lard, ghee, or your other favorite fat for the butter. I didn’t really measure the seasonings (my recipe below is just a guess), so use the photo below for an idea when you are doing it yourself. I am sure you could toss this frozen chicken in a crock pot in the morning and get a similar result.
About every 15 minutes, I basted it with the butter and juices in the bottom. If it gets too brown while cooking, you can put the lid on or cover with foil.
- 3 Tbsp butter or ghee
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2-4 Tbsp McCormick Rotisserie Chicken Seasoning (enough to thoroughly coat the chicken)
- 1 whole organic chicken (about 5 lbs.) cleaned and dried
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Place 3 individual tablespoons of butter (or ghee/lard) in bottom of dutch oven (or roasting pan if you don't have a dutch oven).
- Place chicken (patted dry) inside dutch oven.
- Sprinkle chicken with lemon juice, inside and out.
- Rub chicken with minced garlic. Place some under the breast skin if possible.
- Coat chicken with rotisserie chicken seasoning. Then sprinkle skin with rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Roast in 425º F oven for about 40 minutes or until the temperature reaches 165º F.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 15 minutes before slicing and serving
- Important Tip: If skin starts to darken too much while roasting, cover chicken with dutch oven lid or aluminum foil and leave in place for the remainder of the cooking time.
Please follow and like us: