enter site Meatballs with Gravy over Zucchini Noodles
http://gsc-research.de/public/contents/Article_List.cfm?LandCode=DE Originally, I came across this meatball over zucchini noodles recipe on pinterest. It called for pork but I didn’t have any so I used beef and added some lard. Typically pork is chosen for this kind of meat dish because it has a little more fat than beef. I followed the the rest of the recipe as it was written but the gravy flavor was a little bland so I added some extra seasonings. In the end I was still a little disappointed with the gravy as it was really runny. I also only used about a quarter of the gravy. However, the meatballs were pretty darn good. I think they would be good with other sauces or even just plain. This recipe will even work if you doing the Whole 30 challenge.
get link Meatballs browning on each side before baking
Meatballs with Gravy over Zucchini Noodles
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon lard (or other fat)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, for frying
- 1 onion, finely chopped.
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Almond meal
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 8 oz Beef Broth
- 1/2 tsp fish sauce
- 8 oz coconut milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion salt
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon Tapioca Starch
- 1-2 zucchini
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Saute the finely chopped onions in about two tablespoons of coconut oil until soft (but not brown) this will take about 10-15 minutes. Add in the chopped sage for the last five minutes.
- In your mixing bowl add beef, lard, onions, sage, almond meal, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Form the meatballs by hand, about two tablespoons of the mixture for each meatball.
- saute meatballs in a well oiled cast iron or non stick skillet for about 3 mins each side to get them brown on the outside, then transfer them to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Try and scoop out any stray cooked onions from the pan as they will start to burn if you brown a second batch meatballs and spoil the flavor of your gravy.
- Put meatballs into the oven preheated at 400F for 20 minutes.
- In the same pan you cooked the meatballs in add in the beef broth, coconut milk, and fish sauce.
- using a wooden spoon or a whisk stir well to get the bits of meat up from the bottom of the pan and into the gravy, simmer for five minutes.
- To thicken it, add tapioca starch. Stir really well then return to a low heat until the gravy thickens.
- Season with garlic powder, onion salt, salt and pepper to taste.
- To make the zucchini noodles you will need either a spiralizer or julienne peeler.
- Put them in a pan or pot with a little bit of olive oil and heat about 5 minutes or until warmed and soft. You can put a lid on it to steam it and help them cook a little quicker. Stir occasionally.
Please follow and like us: